Followers

RSS Subscription

Subscribe via RSS reader:
Subscribe via Email Address:
 
Pin It

Widgets

Gerrard Apologise For Criticising Everton

Thursday 1 November 2012

Gerrard Apologise For Criticising Everton


Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has apologised after criticising Everton for playing long-ball football in the 2-2 Merseyside derby draw.

The England midfielder was frustrated after the Toffees came from two goals down to draw at Goodison Park on Sunday, and felt Everton’s style of play resembled Stoke’s aerial approach.

However, after reviewing the game, Gerrard believes he went ‘too far’ in his criticism of his rivals, confirming he has the ‘utmost respect’ for both David Moyes and Tony Pulis.

“Just to clarify, I’ve watched the game again, and I’ve seen some of Everton’s matches this season, and what I said in relation to their style of play went too far,” he said.

“It wasn’t my intention to disrespect Everton or Stoke for that matter and I certainly didn’t intend any disrespect to their manager or players.

“I have the utmost respect for David Moyes and Tony Pulis and the job they have done at their respective clubs.”

The 31-year-old admitted his reaction was partly down to his anger at Luis Suarez’s late effort being incorrectly ruled out for offside, and feels the Uruguayan has been unfairly treated in recent weeks.

“I was frustrated by the disallowed goal from Luis when I spoke and also some of the things that have been said about Luis in recent weeks which haven’t been fair in my opinion,” Gerrard said.

“As captain I have a duty to stand up for our players when I feel they are unfairly singled out.”

Everton defender Phil Jagielka had earlier responded to Gerrard’s criticism by accusing Brendan Rodgers’ team of ‘passing it around for half an hour for the sake of it’.


Be the first to reply!

Post a Comment