Followers

RSS Subscription

Subscribe via RSS reader:
Subscribe via Email Address:
 

PHOTO:Okada rider beaten and stripped naked by policemen

Thursday, 1 November 2012 0 comments


A LIB reader who witnessed this incident yesterday sent in the report and photos. According to her, the naked man in the picture is an Okada man who violated the new Lagos state traffic law. He was arrested at the junction adjoining University road and St Finbarrs college road Akoka by policemen in mufti, and before anyone could say anything, the policemen descended on the Okadaman, beating him mercilessly and then stripping him naked.

They stopped the inhuman treatment after people around gathered at the scene and begged them to stop. This is the police protecting us!

Read More of "PHOTO:Okada rider beaten and stripped naked by policemen"

NIGERIA PROSTITUTES ASSOCIATION UP IN ARMS OVER FOREIGN COMPETITORS

Tuesday, 30 October 2012 0 comments

THE NIGERIAN PROSTITUTES ARE CALLING ON IMMIGRATION OFFICIALS TO ARREST AND DEPORT THE FOREIGN PROSTITUTES BECAUSE THEY SNATCHING THEIR CUSTOMERS AND OPERATING ILLEGALLY IN THE COUNTRY.

We want them out because most of our customers are Hausa who prefer them to us , says one of the prostitutes at Mammy Market, Sokoto.

She explained that an average prostitute pays at least N8,500 a week for a one-room accommodation and security, which means we must sleep with at least four men a day as we charge N500 for short time, she said.

Another lady who gave her name as Ngozi said another reason they wanted Nigerien and Togolese prostitutes out of the business was because they spread sexually transmitted diseases.

All the foreign prostitutes here are HIV positive. We know their status, she claimed.

When contacted, some of the prostitutes from Niger Republic described the action of their hosts as bordering on envy and jealousy.

Jamila, a tall and slim prostitute with long hair, said she came to Nigeria to make money and their services are cheaper than those offered by the Nigerian girls.

That’s why men rush to us, she said.

Jamila, who spoke in Hausa said there are over 1,000 of them operating in Sokoto and most of them have their residency permits.

Last week, the Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, Sokoto Command began a massive crackdown on illegal aliens from Benin Republic, Togo and Niger. More than 500 illegal aliens were deported by the Sokoto command of NIS last week.

According to sources at the NIS, Sokoto, thousands of illegal aliens enter the country without following immigration procedures. They merely take advantage of Nigeria’s porous borders.

The NIS noted that the aliens entered Sokoto state mostly through Ilella and entered Kebbi State through the Kamba border town.

The male illegal immigrants are usually employed as security guards while their female counterparts serve a petty traders and domestic servants. But the majority of the young girls operate in brothels as prostitutes, our sources said.

In an interview with our correspondent, the Public Relations Officer, PRO of citizens from the Sokoto NIS, Mallam Shehu confirmed the arrest and deportation of the aliens.

He added that the NIS was working towards the proper documentation of the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, in Nigeria.

Shehu stated that the exercise will be a continuous and would be carried out nationwide.

Read More of "NIGERIA PROSTITUTES ASSOCIATION UP IN ARMS OVER FOREIGN COMPETITORS"

Father, Four Children Die after Cassava Flour Meal

Sunday, 28 October 2012 0 comments

  Father, Four Children Die after Cassava Flour Meal

Tragedy struck in a sleepy town of Mbu Apochi in Isi-uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State when five members of a family of seven allegedly died after taking a mixture of cassava and corn flour last Tuesday.
THISDAY checks revealed that Mr. Charles Nnadi and his six children had lost consciousness after consuming the said food.
Following their loss of consciousness, some sympathisers had rushed them to the nearby St. Marks Hospital, Eha-Amufu, where three of them, including the father died.
Four of them were later transferred to a trado-medical hospital at Enugu Ezike where two of the children gave up their ghost, while the remaining two are still critically ill.
Some sympathisers described the incident as tragic and have wondered why it must be so just as they are expressing shock over the unfortunate incident.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Ebere Amarizu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, confirmed the incident.
He stated that the command had commenced a full scale investigation into the unfortunate development, with a view to unravelling the mystery and circumstances surrounding the alleged incident which he said may not be unconnected with of food poisoning.

 

Read More of " Father, Four Children Die after Cassava Flour Meal"

OBASANJO SEIZE 10 LAGOS BUSES

Thursday, 25 October 2012 0 comments


Obasanjo Seize 10 Lag Buses After Fashola Impounds His Vehicles



Since last weekend, about 10 LAG buses belonging to the Lagos State Government have been impounded in Ota, Ogun State and packed in Obasanjo Farms.
This happened in retaliation over the confiscation of a utility vehicle last Friday belonging to Obasanjo Farms owned by the former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
The Citizen gathered that the vehicle belonging to Obasanjo Farms was seized by the officials of Lagos State Transport Management Agency (LASTMA) for contravening traffic law and after Obasanjo’s efforts failed to get the vehicle released, his company allegedly instigated some miscreants to forcefully seize over 10 LAG buses that crossed the Lagos-Ogun boundary in Ota.
The Citizen was reliably informed that the Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola turned down Obasanjo’s pleas for the release of his vehicle but instead advised him that his company should obey the law.
It was also gathered that following the alleged seizure of the LAG buses, the management of the bus company has halted all further operations to Ota axis until further notice.
However, efforts to reach LAGBUS Managing Director, Mr. Babatunde Disu proved abortive.


Read More of "OBASANJO SEIZE 10 LAGOS BUSES"

Niger governor blasts Babangida, Abdulsalami

Wednesday, 24 October 2012 0 comments

Niger governor blasts Babangida, Abdulsalami

The self-styled chief servant and governor of Niger state, Muazu Babangida Aliyu, on Saturday poured venom on former President Ibrahim Babangida and former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, for not doing enough for the state when they held sway as heads of state.

Speaking at a Town Hall meeting Saturday as part of the National Good Governance Tour led by the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, at the Lego Kutigi International Conference Centre, Minna, Mr. Aliyu said in spite of the state having the longest stretch of Federal roads in the country, past Nigerian leaders refused to do anything about the deteriorating condition of the roads until recently when President Goodluck Jonathan awarded contract for the dualisation of the Suleija-Minna highway.

Obviously referring to Messrs Babangida and Abdulsalami, both former Generals in the Nigerian Army, Mr. Aliyu provided an Hausa parable saying, “Ana zaton wuta a makera sai gashi a masaka” literally meaning contrary to expectation, it is PresidentJonathan that is delivering governance dividends to the people of the state, and not its indigenes.

The two former leaders are indigenes of Niger, and reside in Minna, the state capital.

Governor Aliyu also sent a direct message to the two former leaders that he would not allow himself to be teleguided but would remain accountable only to the people who elected him.

“Nobody will frighten me into doing his bidding; it is the people who have voted us that we will listen to, and I am happy that majority of the people are happy with us,” he said.

Speaking further, Governor Aliyu said, “When we were elected, we said we will not share money to some few people, …we needed to change and we needed to perform and do things that people will see”.

He also responded to threats of impeachment hanging on his neck following a petition written against him by opposition parties in the state, saying he knew those behind the moves, adding that no one can remove him but God, vowing to run his critics out of

Niger state.

“They think they can run us down, but we are not only going to run them down, but run them out of Niger state, because they have no concern for the local people,” he also said.

The governor said he plans to fulfill his promise of building a five-star hotel in Minna, the state capital, before 2015 and a new shopping complex at the site of the old market at Minna city centre in 18 months.

Also speaking at the event, Information Minister, Labaran Maku, said the Federal government has concluded the dredging of

River Niger from Warri down to Baro, adding that work has reached 70 per cent on the Baro port which will ensure water transportation for both human and cargo.

Mr. Maku also revealed that the Federal Government had, through the Ministry of Transport, concluded the reconstruction of rail track bridges that were damaged between Zungeru and Akare, which had cut off train transportation between the North and

South of the country.

The minister revealed that the good governance tour team had a successful train ride from Zungeru to Akare across all the new bridges.

Read More of "Niger governor blasts Babangida, Abdulsalami "

Senator Ndume gave AGF’s mobile number to Boko Haram – SSS

0 comments

Senator Ndume gave AGF’s mobile number to Boko Haram – SSS


An Assistant Director with the State Security Services, SSS, James Ineh, told the Federal High Court on Wednesday that a Senator, Mohammed Ndume, gave the telephone number of the Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, to the Boko Haram.

Mr. Ndume, a serving Senator from Borno, is standing trial for allegedly having links with Boko Haram.
The accused has, however, said he established the link to facilitate peace as a member of the Presidential Committee on Security in the North East Zone.

Mr. Ineh, who was the Chairman of the Special Investigation Panel, SIP, set up to investigate Mr. Ndume, said that a former spokesman of Boko Haram, Ali Konduga, revealed the information to the panel. He said Mr. Konduga informed the panel that the senator provided him with the telephone number of Mr. Adoke.

The witness allegedly told the panel that the number was used to bargain a governorship petition filed by the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, in Borno state.

Mr. Ineh said that the former Boko Haram spokesman testified that the calls to Mr. Adoke were threats to spur him to influence the

Governorship Election Tribunal members to cede the state’s election victory to PDP or risk mayhem in the State.

He explained that the name of the Attorney General was dragged into the panel report submitted on November 25, 2011 on the grounds that his GSM number was found in Mr. Konduga’s telephone set.

Mr. Ineh, in his testimony, further said that the items found in the senator’s telephone were indicative of his close connection with the dreaded group.

“The fact that Konduga was tried and convicted of terrorism acts is enough to show that the accused is also liable,’’ he said.
The judge, Gabriel Kolawole, adjourned the suit to November 1, November 5 and December 11.

Read More of "Senator Ndume gave AGF’s mobile number to Boko Haram – SSS "